Wednesday, September 25, 2013

An Aging Process

Be sure to use a matte poly clear coat once the painting is done.
I don't know what it is about patina that speaks to me.  Maybe it's the implication of age and wear.  Maybe it's the admiration I have for the way nature works whether we want it to or not.  Maybe it's that patina keeps it real.

I came across a tutorial at Imparting Grace for using a paint technique to instantly patina terra cotta garden pots.  Of course, I don't tend to enjoy following directions to the letter, so I ended up playing around with the process a bit.

Once the faux stone paint was applied and sanded, I went back in with watered down acrylics and a small paint brush to mimic the natural exposure of the pot to dirt and mossy growth from the garden.  I kept the colors soft and neutral--earthy browns, dark greens, charcoals.  In the end, each pot was a little different.   

The process was pure soul therapy.

No comments: