Monday, June 11, 2007

Companion Planting in Raised Cedar Beds

In early spring, one of the first garden chores is evaluating the condition of the raised wooden beds. Because I opted to use untreated pine when the garden boxes were being constructed 4 years ago, I knew that replacing 2x12's on a fairly regular basis would be necessary if I didn't make a decision about some quality outdoor lumber. In February of this year, I ordered 2 cedar raised beds from NaturalYards in Washington State. I splurged--yes. And so far, my splurge hasn't disappointed. However, I couldn't afford to continue using cedar--at least this season--and repairs were piling up. Feeling ashamed to call myself "organic," I replaced four more beds with pressure-treated pine. Although leaching does concern me, going bankrupt from purchasing too much cedar at one time concerns me a little more. Perhaps one day, all of the beds will be cedar. This island bed in the center of my garden is one from NaturalYards--a 2x8 Port Orford cedar box 12 inches high. The box is intensively planted with Greek oregano (out of picture to the left), Disco marigolds, Butterstick Hybrid summer squash, nasturtiums, and a new addition--Copper Canyon Daisy (Tagetes lemmonii). I purchased this plant in the spring in New Bern, NC (USDA Zone 8) at the Tryon Palace Heritage Plant Sale. It is technically not hardy in my zone, but perhaps with some special care, I can extend its life here. The bees, beneficial wasps, and butterflies love the flowers from this Asteraceae family plant. I must mention that the fragrance of this plant, a sort of lemony-marigold scent, is refreshing to the nose on a hot afternoon. I am especially pleased with the way the golds, yellows, reds, and oranges work together in this bed. The finely textured, serrated leaves of the Copper Canyon Daisy next to the round, shield-like leaves of the nasturtiums and the huge, tropical fronds of the squash provide a real visual treat. The only little problem: squash vine borer moths are attracted to the color yellow, so I guess I should enjoy the squash while they last. In my quest for kitchen garden beauty, I've made a veritable landing strip for those evil creatures...complete with yellow runway lights.

No comments: